HOME | ARTISTS | INSTALLATION VIEWS | ESSAYS | FILM FESTIVAL | EVENTS | PRESS

LINKS | VISIT | CONTACT | ARTSPACE


curated by Rachel Gugelberger

The Library in the Age of Digital Reproduction
(for Artspace New Haven)

by Wayne Bivens-Tatum
Academic Librarian:
On Libraries, Rhetoric, Poetry, History, & Moral Philosophy

Princeton University
October 27, 2011

I barely remem­ber a time when I wasn’t an active library user. From the first grade I recall trips to the school library, where the librar­ian would seat us at com­mon tables and place a num­ber of books at the cen­ter for us to choose among. Instead of choos­ing one of those books, I always got per­mis­sion to wan­der the shelves and find one on my own. Even then, my rela­tion­ship to the library was active, quest­ing, ques­tion­ing, and the library was a place I enjoyed vis­it­ing. The library was the place with knowl­edge. It had an aura. [READ MORE...]